Substandard grades may be disregarded if they are not reflective of a student’s demonstrated academic ability. This is known as remediation by academic renewal. A student can pursue this form of remediation by filing a Petition for Academic Renewal with the Admissions & Records Office. If academic renewal is approved, the student’s permanent record will be notated with appropriate comments and the substandard (“D”, “F”, “NC”, or “NP”) unit values will not be computed in the cumulative Grade Point Average. The “renewed” courses and the related grades will not be removed from the record, as the district is required to show a complete and accurate academic record for every student (Title 5, Section 55046).
Students MUST meet with a counselor to review options for Academic Renewal, as this procedure is irreversible.
1. The student may only utilize Academic Renewal one time in the district.
2. Only substandard grades may be “renewed”.
3. Immediately following the course work with substandard grades, the student must have completed at least 20 units with “C” grades or better from Contra Costa College or any other accredited college or university. Please note that the unit count begins the semester after the last substandard grade was received.
4. Academic renewal may be applied for up to 24 units. District courses can be combined up to the maximum of 24 units. However, each college must adjust the academic record for courses completed through that location. A Petition for Academic Renewal should be submitted at each college.
5. Courses/related grades that have already been removed from the cumulative Grade Point Average based on courses repetition will not be “renewed”.
6. There is no time limit for academic renewal. Students who qualify for Academic Renewal must fill out the petition, obtain a counselor’s signature and turn it in to any college within the district. If the student is using non-district courses to qualify for the 20 units (see item #3 above), official transcripts must be on file in Admissions & Records prior to submitting Academic Renewal.