Contra Costa College History
The Contra Costa Junior College District was established in a special election on December 14, 1948.
State Assemblyman George Miller, Jr. was instrumental in obtaining the use of Kaiser Shipyard No. 3 and surrounding buildings from the U.S. Maritime Commission.
Byron O. Wilson, the County Superintendent of Schools, appointed the first governing board: Bert Coffey, Fred Abbott, Elton Brombacher, George Gordon and O.J. Wohlgemuth.
Drummond McCunn was the first superintendent of the District.
[Illustration shows the college's location at the old shipyard in Point Richmond.]